Thursday, January 6, 2011

Piano Lessons

Today Mateo started taking piano lessons from our ward pianist. She is a sweet lady. She has been playing the piano for the church for the past twenty years. She is the best in our ward. Mateo is really lucky to have her as his teacher. When I first asked her if she would give Mateo piano lessons, she told me that it has been about twenty years since she stopped giving lessons. She told me she doesn't do that anymore. I was expecting that answer because she is a very busy person and holds many callings in the ward. She also serves as a service missionary. But it wouldn't hurt to ask. Later that week, I received a phone call from her telling me that she was willing to give it a try. Mateo and I were so thrilled. We knew we were getting the best teacher. She is making an exception with him and making some time to teach him. We so appreciate what she is doing because we know how busy her life is.

His first lesson was today at her house. She has a piano, so Mateo will learn to play with the real thing. Santa brought the boys a keyboard for Christmas. We have been wanting this for a while for our kids. Three years ago, Mateo got a small keyboard for Chrismtas and he showed a lot of interest in that. That keyboard was a cheap one and broke a couple of months after that. So we knew we needed a nicer version. She told me to bring the keyboard to her house for the first lesson to see how Mateo did. He did really well. He has already learned a few songs on his own. She told him that from now on, he doesn't have to bring the keyboard to her house for the lessons because she will teach him using her piano. Mateo played "I Am A Child Of God" on her piano and did it really well.

We are so excited for Mateo. I would love to see him play the piano in church and bring the Spirit to many meetings. He is very excited about this and is so eager to learn. He just needs to practice a lot and do all the exercises she tells him to do.


4 comments:

Zarsky Family said...

How great that he is taking piano lessons! I am glad he has such a wonderful teacher.

Kellie said...

Hailey has been taking from Katie Novak since September and has really enjoyed it. It's amazing what they learn. Can't wait to hear Mateo play!

Heather (Paralyzed with JOY!) said...

This is such a great thing for kids. Make sure he sticks with it, even when he doesn't want to practice! (I have serious regrets about quitting piano when I was younger!) It will definitely be a talent that he will never regret having when he is older!

Kimbrough's in St. Louis said...

That is very exciting.